All things social anxiety.

Friday 19 June 2015

Social anxiety - Difficulty understanding and following conversations.

12:04 Posted by Unknown , , No comments

I find that one of the main problems I have with Social anxiety at the moment, is following conversations. Keeping up with what's being said and then being able to contribute. I seem to have moments where I simply cannot digest what is being said and therefore am unable to take part in any meaningful way. I'm not sure if this is my attention span, if I'm simply to anxious to absorb what's being said, or if it's something else entirely.

A recent experience

Today at work, we went for a team lunch. We decided to go to a pub in the town center for a quick drink and some chicken. Strangely, I was actually looking forward to it... even though I had the usual pre social event jitters, worries & doubts. Somehow, to some extent, I'm able to switch my mind off to these worries now, where once they were all consuming.

A quick food picture to lighten up the post (yes, I ate all of that!):



This is partially down to two things, I believe. The first is that whenever I feel myself worrying or obsessing over the event, I make a conscious effort to not think about it. When an anxious thought pops into my mind, I simply halt that thought and think nothing more of it. It may sound like nothing, but it seems to work on some level – after some practice, that is. The second is to imagine myself succeeding, rather than failing. I imagine myself having fun, laughing or whatever I deem as being successful in that particular social environment. I'm not saying this helps when it comes to crunch time, but it certainly helps in the lead up to the event.

Anyway, back to my original point. We were having lunch today, I was fairly comfortable but quiet. I could live with that. After a while though, something changed in my head, like a switch being flicked, and I found myself outside of the conversation.

I was trying to follow the conversation, listening to what was being said. My colleagues might as well have been speaking Swahili though. I understood the words, but could not comprehend what was being said – what point what being made. This made me feel massively uncomfortable and I had to dash off to the toilet to compose myself.

This is not new to me. When it happens I feel as though my head is completely empty, I find myself just staring at people as they talk. Their words don't register and as such I'm unable to find a response. I miss social cues, such as when to laugh, or respond. I fidget around awkwardly. I'm, unable to maintain eye-contact. All the time, I'm aware that this is happening, and try to make a conscious effort to listen, but it's impossible. I've noticed that It get's worse when it's a group conversation, since I feel others are aware that I'm not listening, and are aware that I'm highly uncomfortable and suddenly, in my mind, all eyes are on me.

It's my opinion that this happens due to being either highly anxious, or highly self-conscious. I'm either too anxious to take on any information, or I'm so self-conscious at the time, that my focus is elsewhere, even when I make a conscious effort to listen. Either way it's tough to overcome. The only coping strategy I can think of, is to briefly escape the situation, collect myself and then return in a hopefully, more receptive state.

I've had mixed luck with this, sometimes returning more composed and relaxed, sometimes returning in the exact same state. At least I had a break from the awkwardness though, right!?

If you've experienced anything similar to this, I'd love to hear from you, just leave a comment and I'll be in touch. I'd be particularly interested to hear if you have any coping mechanisms of your own. I'm also particularly interested to hear your thoughts on our ability to listen to what is being said, to follow conversations and how much this contributes to social anxiety.

Anyway, all things said, with the exception of a few minutes, the lunch went well. As I'm writing this, I'm actively resisting the urge to have the bog-standard social-anxiety response of dwelling on the negatives; convincing myself that it was some sort of disaster. I went to a pub, had lunch, had a conversation, got slightly anxious and then returned to work. What;s the big deal?






0 comments:

Post a Comment